Introducing Asha!

6

Posted by Miss Crowther | Posted in Asha, Whole School Event | Posted on June 5, 2016

Asha is the newest member of Kilmore Primary School. He isn’t like any other member of our school community. He has four legs, a waggy tail, a tongue that likes to lick and a nose that sniffs out even the tiniest morsel of food. He is a dog!

Asha 3

Asha is our school therapy dog. He comes to school each day and spends time in different classrooms. During his first week at school he attended library classes, maths lessons and even learnt his first Spanish word – ‘el perro’. Can you guess what it might mean? Asha has also spent lots of time in the yard meeting new friends and doing some yard duty.

Asha met everyone at assembly for the first time.

Asha KPS Day 1

Learning about fractions was hard work!

Asha Library

Asha visited the library

Asha Playground

Asha on the F – 2 playground.

Asha Reading

Listening to a story in the library.

????????????????????????????????????

Helping Mrs Laffan do yard duty before school.

Asha is a 14 month old Labrador who was learning how to be a seeing eye dog. However, he has a small problem with one of his own eyes and was released from the program. We were on a waiting list and Asha’s trainers at SEDA (Seeing Eye Dogs Australia) thought he would be the perfect fit for our school. A pawfect match some may say!

Asha will write a report each week for the school newsletter. Here is his first one: Asha’s Adventures T2 W8

What do you love most about dogs?

What questions do you have about Asha?

What do you think Asha should do at school each day?

Comments (6)

Asha is the best dog! He loves to have lots of pats.

Asha, do you like to play with balls? My dog and you can be friends.

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the compliment! I certainly do like all the pats I get when I come to school.

I do like to play with balls. There is one small problem though – they don’t last very long! I love making them roll so I can chase them and then pounce on them. Great fun!

I’ve now got a super strong black ball which is apparently meant to be indestructible. It’s got a hole in the middle for some treats.

See you at school!

Asha

I feel like Asha was born to be our special friend at Kilmore PS. He has made his way into all our hearts so quickly and seems very at home with his new surroundings. I love watching the smile he puts on everyone’s face first thing in the morning and the excitement he creates as he wonders through the school. KPS was always a great place to learn but Asha will make it even better. He is already teaching us about gratitude which was a big part of Hugh’s work with us on being mentally healthy.
I can’t wait to see the things that Asha can help us with. We are very lucky!

Miss Crowther
That’s such an amazingly positive thing – I have to admit I think its a great shame that we don’t do anything like that at our school in New Zealand – and I don’t know of any New Zealand Schools that have a dog like that but I think that it is such a wonderful idea. I am so excited that you are part of the Global Pals sending of animals our class has been wondering what animal that you are going to be sending as part of the prgrom.
Mr Webb and Room Three, Auroa Primary School, Taranaki, New Zealand.
mrwebbauroa.blogspot.com

Hello Mr Webb & Room Three!

Great to hear from you.

We all love Asha. He has quickly become part of our school and gets lots of attention everyday. He spends most of his time sleeping. When the bell goes he now knows that it means he is going outside to see his friends. The bell is like his alarm! He gets out of bed, stretches and then goes to stand at the door.

We’re looking forward to the Global Pal project. Our animal is a native Australian animal, who like Asha, does an awful lot of sleeping. We’ve named her after a character from a Mem Fox book. She’s grey and has a pouch. Can you work out what she is?

Miss Crowther & the Global Pal group

Miss Crowther
I will be sharing your comment with our class this morning – we knew that you’d be using an Australian animal for the project but we didn’t know what one so the students who chose to look into the Australian animal picked a whole lot of different ones and I think we have had success.

I actually have read the Mem Fox book that I think you are thinking of to my children and I have it at home! (I dont know if we have it our school library but I will check!) so we have been researching it yes! (and I will find it and read it to our class!)

Mr Webb and Room Three, Auroa Primary School, New Zealand. mrwebbauroa.blogspot.com

Write a comment