Amazing Animal Adaptations & Marvellous Mr Miller

0

Posted by Miss Crowther | Posted in ICT, Skype, Units of Inquiry | Posted on April 7, 2016

In the last week of Term 1, three of our classes (5D, 5G & 4/5B) participated in a Skype call with Mr Miller from Buffalo Bill Center of the West in Wyoming, USA.

It was an amazing hour filled with lots of information and objects we would never have been able to see without the use of technology. We had a tour of the museum – whilst we sat in our classroom! Mr Miller walked around the museum showing us different artefacts and teaching us new things about animal adaptations as part of our inquiry unit. We learnt about grizzly bears, moose, raptors, beavers, wolves – just to name a few.

Capture

Here are some comments from our student Skypers:

Mr Miller took us around the museum and told us about animal adaptations, including grizzly bears can eat 20 000 – 40 000 moths a day and buffalo and goat horns are made out of the same stuff as our fingernails. Everyone enjoyed it! Jenaya

If you hike in an area with grizzly bears you have to take a special spray so they don’t attach you. Matt

We are so thankful that you did a Skype call with us. You taught us so much about animal adaptations. I hope we can talk again soon! Brodie

Bighorn sheep have a hollow chamber between two slabs of bone in the skull which acts as an airbag when they clash heads in a fight. I also learnt that raptors have sharp talons, hooked beaks and amazing eye sight which lets them spot a mouse from a whole mile away! Jemma.

It was awesome and now I know a lot more about animals and their adaptations. Kash

A beaver can block its ears so water doesn’t get in there.

I only have eight sticky notes left because I took so many notes! April

Bighorn sheep have their brains far back in their skull so they don’t get brain damage from ramming. Ethan

Bears have sharp claws to protect themselves from other animals and also to climb trees. Phoebe

George told us that our fingernails are made from the same thing as moose, rhino, ram and buffalo horns. It was an extraordinary experience. Milla

I wish I knew as much as you Mr Miller! Tom

We found out about the virtual field trip through Microsoft Education’s Skype in the Classroom website. We thank all the people who run the website and the people like George and Lauren who give up their time to educate people all around the world.

We wonder where we will visit next!

What adaptation do you find the most interesting? Why?

If you could ask Mr Miller a question about animal adaptations, what would it be?

Write a comment